Robin Ferrier – Art Quilts »

Masthead header

Hana House Update – Tearing Down and Putting Up

Hana is a place where time seems to move slowly.  That’s one of the things I love about it; it’s like stepping back to another time.  Sometimes things do change quickly tho.  Imagine our surprise when what was once this:

…turned into this:

The neighbor is preparing his property to sell so he cut down a few trees.  Well, more than a few trees if I’m honest.  It takes some getting used to and we are adjusting to the sudden loss in privacy.  The man who helps us with our landscaping has already made a special trip to the nursery on our behalf.  He plans on planting native shrubs and a two Ohia trees, one red and one yellow, to help us with the view.  The good news is I had a nice talk with the neighbor who did this and he plans of clearing those fallen trees.  I understand why he did it and know just like he does that it’s a tiresome job keeping the jungle in check.  It’s going to be a long process because like us, he doesn’t live in Hana.  Like I said earlier, time moves slowly here.

Back at our house, Jamey and I have been working on the screened lanai.  We started by inserting the screens into the upper portions of the walls.  These “balinese” screens don’t just pop in like western screens do.  They are framed in wood.  Wood swells.  We discovered with some of them it took a bit of pounding and sanding to make them fit.  Once we inserted one screen, we found it sometimes affected how it’s neighbor fit, and so forth.  I have a whole new appreciation for our builders and can only imagine how much pounding and tweaking it took to get this wooden house together!  If you look closely, you can see they didn’t use a staple gun to attach the screen to the frame; instead each side has screws set 2″ apart holding the screen tight and even.  There is a level of craftsmanship here not seen in the U.S.

Next came the wire on the bottom half of the walls.  This is done to comply with code. 

While Jamey put the wire in I inserted the screens on the lower half.  We stopped when we ran out of hardware.

What we have so far looks stunning!  We had hoped to lightly sand this deck and give it a coat of Cetol, but that will have to be a project for another day.

Meanwhile, in Bali, finishing touches are being done on the kitchen cabinetry and countertops, and things like sinks and tubs are being chosen.  It will be months before all this arrives in Hana.  People who are curious about the project have a tendency to ask me when it’s all going to be finished.  The simple answer is I don’t know.  There are many variables at play, most of which are entirely out of my control.  All I can say is I’ve become comfortable with uncertainty. At one time we both felt this project was too much to handle and we nearly scrapped it, but somewhere along the way we found the grit and grace to stick with it.  I’m glad we did because in those moments when we are pounding on screens and drilling holes I don’t think much about how hard this has all been.  Instead I’m happy to be working with my hands in a beautiful setting… my mind miles away from things I cannot control.  

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

*

*